The £15 million man has failed to impress at Spurs but could make his first appearance since November 2010 after injury crisis forces Harry Redknapp to include the 27-year-oldDavid Bentley could be in line to make his first Tottenham appearance since November 2010 against Chelsea in Sunday’s FA Cup semi-final.
The midfielder, who joined Spurs for a then £15 million club-record fee, had been on loan at Championship club West Ham but a serious knee injury ended his spell at Upton Park in October and he has since been back with Tottenham.
Manager Harry Redknapp, meanwhile, is facing an injury crisis ahead of the clash with Niko Kranjcar, Tom Huddlestone and striker Louis Saha, among others, all out injured and Redknapp admitted he may have to turn to Bentley to ensure Spurs have an 18-man squad.
He told reporters: "We haven't got loads of players and looking at the squad, there is every chance David Bentley could be back on the bench. He is in the running.
"David hasn't even played a game this season. He has been injured since he went to West Ham, but I'm struggling to find seven subs."
The former Blackburn Rovers player has endured a torrid time at White Hart Lane, having made only 42 appearances for the club since joining in 2008.
But Redknapp believes the Peterborough-born player can force his way back into the Spurs squad.
"I'm sure by the end of the season he will be back in the squad, or in the team. He is right back in the frame again," he said.
The injury crisis means the ex-Pompey boss has just two fit centre-halves in Ryan Nelsen and William Gallas for the game against the Blues.
And, although Nelsen has made just three appearances this season, the White Hart Lane manager believes he can put his faith in the New Zealand international, who signed on a surprise free transfer from Blackburn in January.
He said: "I had five centre-halves in January but now those two are the last men standing.
"But Ryan Nelsen wouldn't let me down, he's a fantastic competitor."