Champions League Preview: Real Madrid – Bayern Munich
Jupp Heynckes’ side is vying to play in European football’s showpiece occasion for the second time in three years as it heads to the Spanish capital holding a slender lead.
By Karthick Arvinth
Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo
Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo
Lahm, Boateng, Badstuber, Alaba
Robben, Kroos, Ribery
Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has the luxury of selecting from a nearly full strength squad for Wednesday’s Champions League semifinal second leg against Bayern Munich, with only Ricardo Carvalho (thigh) rated as an injury doubt.
Gonzalo Higuain and Kaka could return to the starting lineup for the must-win game, while Marcelo may be preferred to Fabio Coentrao at left back.
Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes rested several of his stars for Saturday’s win at Werder Bremen and will play his strongest XI as he looks to build on his side’s 2-1 lead from the first leg.
Influential midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger is set to retain his place in the starting XI, but defenders Daniel Van Buyten (foot) and Breno (knee) are both out.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Real Madrid has a 100 percent home record in the Champions League this term and has won 10 of its last 11 European games at the Santiago Bernabeu.
- Los Blancos have lost just twice against Bayern Munich in Spain, winning six times and drawing once. Their overall record against German visitors is 17 wins, three draws and two losses.
- Real Madrid has secured aggregate triumphs in 22 of the 35 European ties in which the club has lost the first leg away from home.
- Gonzalo Higuain, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Ramos and Fabio Coentrao will incur a one-match ban with their next bookings.
- Bayern Munich has won just one of its last four away games in the Champions League, but has triumphed in 11 of its last 13 matches in all competitions.
- The Bavarians’ 2-0 victory at Villarreal in the group stages in September was the team's first success in Spain since 2001. Their record away to La Liga opposition is five wins, four draws and nine losses.
- Bayern has recorded home first leg victories 46 times in UEFA competitions and has triumphed in all but eight ties.
- Philipp Lahm, Holger Badstuber, David Alaba, Jerome Boateng, Toni Kroos, Luiz Gustavo and Thomas Muller will incur a ban with their next bookings.
Follow GOAL.COM USA on
Top 3 Predictions
Real Madrid 3-1 Bayern
- 21.2 %
Real Madrid 2-0 Bayern
- 13.74 %
Real Madrid 3-0 Bayern
- 8.68 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Apr 25, 2012||Real Madrid 2 - Bayern 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Apr 17, 2012||Bayern 2 - Real Madrid 1|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||Aug 13, 2010||Bayern 2 - Real Madrid 4|
|May 17, 2013||Real Madrid 1 - Atletico Madrid 2||ESPC|
|May 11, 2013||Espanyol 1 - Real Madrid 1||LIGA|
|May 8, 2013||Real Madrid 6 - Malaga 2||LIGA|
|May 4, 2013||Real Madrid 4 - Valladolid 3||LIGA|
|Apr 30, 2013||Real Madrid 2 - Borussia Dortmund 0||UCL|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
|18||Raúl Albiol Tortajada||Defender|
|30||Luiz Gustavo Dias||Midfielder|